coordinates: Tuesday and Thursday at 9:15-11:00 am in INF 227 / HS 2
Winter Semester 2020/21The course is an introduction to Cosmology. Suggested prerequisites: General Relativity (although it is not strictly necessary).
IMPORTANT! Students need to register here by October 25th. Due to new regulations, lectures will be online-only at least until end of December. The lectures will be recorded and uploaded on this page the same day as the lectures. Tutorials will start on the week 9-13 November. Students will be divided into four exercise-groups of roughly 20 students each. The detailed regulations for the tutorials will be provided as soon as possible. There will be tutorials both in presence (same 227/HS2 lecture hall, Wednesdays 9:15-11:00) and online. Tutorials, however, will NOT be recorded.
The recording system is set up so that seated students are not recorded. However, it might happen that students get recorded if they come close to the blackboard or when standing. We'll do our best to avoid such cases, but students should understand that if they attend the lectures in presence there is some chance they get involuntarily recorded for a very short time.
- Masks are to be worn in all student-accessible areas of all physics buildings at all times. In particular, the audience should wear masks during lectures and tutorials.
- Teachers can choose to speak without masks for added clarity.
- We observe 1.5m distancing when seating students in lecture halls.
- The department provides disinfecting wipes, and students are asked to disinfect their own desk prior to use.
- Until the university provides a digital solution, we are required to collect forms confirming students' health status and address for every single instance of every single course. This is the contact form: you can print it, fill it in advance, and bring it to the lectures
More info on coronavirus measures at the University here
Info on data collection and protection
- Review of General Relativity
- Observing the Universe
- Thermal history
- Evolution of perturbations
- Cosmic Microwave Background
- Gravitational Lensing
- Large scale structure
- Dark matter, dark energy
NOTE: Course begins on November 3rd, 2020, 9:15 am
Exercise classes start from the week after the beginning of the course, details to be announced later on.
EXAM: 25.02.2021 afternoon. The exam will be ONLINE, with multiple-choice questions. The exact final program will be posted here.
SECOND EXAM: 23.04.2021, 2-4pm. The exam will be ONLINE, with multiple-choice questions.
Beside the lectures, every Friday at 16:00 there will be a live online Questions&Answers online session.
Calendar (9:15-11:00 am) :
All lectures will be online only.
03.11 - online
05.11 - online
10.11 - online
12.11 - online
17.11 - online
19.11 - online
24.11 - online
26.11 - online
01.12 - online
03.12 - online
08.12 - online
10.12 - online
15.12 - online
17.12 - online
12.01.2021 - online
14.01 - online
19.01 - online
21.01 - online
26.01 - online
28.01 - online
02.02 - online
04.02 - online
09.02 - online
11.02 - online
16.02 - online
Sections of lecture notes effectively covered in the course: entire script, except: 2.6, 5.3, 5.4, 6.2, 9.5, 9.6, Appendix of Chap. 11, 12.5, 12.8, 15.1, 16.4, 16.5, chapter 17. All the rest will be part of the exam.