Tilman Enss | Teaching — Advanced Quantum Theory
as of 05 Sep 2018
The retry exam will be held on Thursday, 11 October 2018, from 10:00-12:00h in Philosophenweg 19 (seminar room).
You can review your exam on Friday, 12 October 2018, from 15:00-16:00h in Philosophenweg 19 (seminar room).
Advanced Quantum Theory (MVAMO2)
Summer term 2018
Module: MVAMO2, 2L+1T, 4ECTS
Lecturer: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Tilman Enss
Lecture days and times: Thursday, 11:15-13:00, kleiner Hörsaal, Philosophenweg 12
Additional lecture on Tuesday, May 29 (instead of June 21), 14:15-16:00, SR 1.404, INF 227
Tutorials: Tuesdays, every second week,
group 1: Tue, 14:15 - 16:00, SR 1.404, INF 227
group 2: Tue, 16:15 - 18:00, SR 2.402, INF 227
Please register for the tutorials at this URL.
Exam: Tue July 31, 10:00 - 12:00, Phil12 großer Hörsaal
- A brief reminder of some basics of quantum mechanics
- Quantum theory of matter
- Harmonic oscillator - Identical particles - Bosons and fermions - Fock space - Spin and statistics
- Born-Oppenheimer approximation - Potential scattering - Lippmann-Schwinger equation and Born approximation - Partial-wave expansion - Scattering cross section and optical theorem - S-matrix and scattering phase - Resonance scattering and scattering length - Time dependent scattering theory
- Theory of quantum states
- Density operator - Pure states and mixed ensembles - Environment and partial trace - The measurement process - Entanglement (EPR, Bell's inequalities)
- Open quantum systems
- Quantization of the electromagnetic field - Interaction of atoms with electromagnetic vacuum - The Jaynes-Cummings model - Collapse and revival - Open quantum systems - Dissipation in classical systems - Master equation - Spontaneous Emission - Decoherence
Lecture notes/additional material
Lecture notes and additional material will be made available on the course website.
There are many good textbooks on Quantum Mechanics, here are a few:
- Jean-Louis Basdevant, Jean Dalibard, Quantum Mechanics. Springer 2002.
- Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, Franck Laloë, Quantum Mechanics. Wiley, New York, 2005 (Nachdr.). [ Google books | HEIDI ]
- L.D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Quantum Mechanics. Non-relativistic theory. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1977. [ HEIDI | Online Full Text ]
- F. Schwabl, Quantenmechanik I, II [in German]. Springer 2007. [ Ebook I | Ebook II ]
- N. Straumann, Quantenmechanik [in German]. Springer 2013. [ Ebook ]
- Steven Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics. Cambridge University Press, 2nd ed., 2015. [ Google books | HEIDI ]
- C.J. Joachain, Quantum Collision Theory. North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1983. [ HEIDI | Scribd Full Text ]
- Landau and Lifshitz (see above), see Chapters XVII & XVIII.
- J. Dalibard, Collisional dynamics of ultra-cold atomic gases. Varenna lecture notes 1998. [ Full Text ]
Open quantum systems
- M.D. Lukin, Modern Atomic and Molecular Physics II. Harvard lecture notes 2005. [ Full Text ]
- PEP1-4, PTP1-4, in particular Quantum Mechanics (PTP4)